Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Observation and Inference Activity


Last year, I found that my students had a difficult time understanding observations and inferences, which they need to know in order to make scientific discoveries.

So this year I am going to turn them into Super Sleuths and see if that helps a little bit. 

I think it will be a really fun lesson and hopefully they'll enjoy it while they learn!

I'm turning my students into Private Investigators for the day in order to solve three cases. I will divide the class into groups and have stations set up with one case at each station. The case scenarios will be posted at each station along with suspect cards and observation sheets for the students. Hopefully, the groups will make it to all three stations before the end of class.

The .pdf versions of each file are correctly formatted unlike the .doc files. However, the .doc files can be changed to fit your classroom's needs. Feel free to change anything you want!







It may be difficult for the students to figure out all the pieces to solving each case. For my students, figuring out each case is not necessarily going to be as important as understanding how to make observations and inferences.  I've made an answer key with the cases solved as I see it. Certainly feel free to change anything to fit your students!


If you do this activity, leave me a comment because I'd love to hear how it goes in your classroom!

13 comments:

  1. I did this activity today with my 8th graders and it was a hit! They were very into the activity. It was interesting to listen to them debate with one another when they disagreed on who was guilty. This led into a class discussion about being able to back up your conclusions with hard evidence. We even ran out of time, but they refused to leave my room until I told them who really "did it." Thanks a bunch for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! Thanks for letting me know! We haven't started school yet so I actually haven't done it with my kids but your comment makes me even more excited to try this activity this year. I'm so glad they liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try this next week. Thanks for the resources and I will report back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to try these activities this week in a 4th grade classroom. I will leave another comment to tell you how it went! Thanks for the great activity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We completed the activities this week and had a great time! The students really enjoyed them. They worked on the cases during read to someone during our Daily 5 time. Thanks for the great activity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so much fun and my students LOVED it! We had to spread it out over a couple of days and the students were super upset to not be told who did it until the 2nd day :-) Thanks for the fun activity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! This is awesome...can't wait to use!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice activity. I am teaching a course for Teacher Librarians about reading strategies and I will use these materials to demonstrate the inferring strategy. Thanks for this resource.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really easy to implement and (clearly) fun. I will roll out a case a day to polish those skills and balance my lesson. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm am going to be doing this with my upper level seventh graders next week. I was struggling trying to find a lengthy activity to illustrate inference. I especially love that you can use it cross curricula (I'm an English teacher and this works perfectly)

    Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete